Need a Last-Minute Halloween Treat? Make Mummy Biscuits!
I love that these biscuits are super simple, quick, and easy to make or for a last-minute Halloween trick or treat. I’ve used a vanilla biscuit base, but you could use chocolate, gingerbread, or a flavour of your choice. — Mich Turner MBE
Q: “Why do mummies make excellent spies?”
A: “Because they’re good at keeping things under wraps!”
Ingredients for Vanilla Biscuits:
- 200g unsalted butter (softened at room temperature)
- 200g golden caster sugar
- 1 large whole beaten egg
- 400g plain flour (plus flour to roll out)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
Ingredients for Royal Icing:
- 2 egg whites
- 300g approx. icing sugar
- Wilton Black Icing Colour
- Baking sheets
- Non-stick baking parchment
- Gingerbread man (various size cutters)
- No 3 plain piping nozzle
- No 1.5 plain piping nozzle
- Disposable piping bags
- Wire cooling rack
Method — Biscuit Bases:
2. Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
3. Add the beaten egg.
4. Stir in the vanilla bean paste.
5. Sieve together the flour and baking powder, and fold into the creamed mixture.
6. Wrap in cling film and allow to rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
8. Bake in the oven for 8 – 10 minutes until baked and golden brown on the edges.
9. Allow to cool for 2 minutes before lifting out onto a wire rack to cool.
Method — Royal Icing & Decorating:
1. Lightly whisk 2 egg whites until foamy.
2. Add the icing sugar and whisk with an electric whisk until stiff but glossy, and the consistency of freshly whipped double cream.
5. Pipe the icing across the biscuit to create the mummy’s bandages.
6. Finish by piping the black eyes – looking in different directions.
7. Allow to set for 2 – 4 hours.