Easy Boho Coasters with the Macrame Square Knot!
New to macrame? Don’t worry, if you’re a total beginner to the stylish craft that’s taken the creative world by storm this year, then we’ve got you covered with this fantastic little tutorial from Denise Holmes. This lovely little boho coaster makes up quickly once you’ve mastered the macrame square knot – and is a great place to begin your macrame journey!
Skill level: Beginner
You Will Need:
Cut 12 x 1.2m length cords, fold each in half then tie them on to the dowel rod using the lark’s head knot.
You should have 24 cords; number them 1-24, from left to right.
Use the cords 1-4 to make a square knot as below:
- Take cord 1 and bring it over cords 2 and 3.
- Take cord 4, place over cord 1, under cords 2 and 3 then up and through the loop created by cord 1; this completes half a square knot.
- To complete, reverse the process, taking cord 4 first; that is your square knot completed.
Now to commence the pattern. Take cords 1-4 to tie one square knot, then repeat this with cords 5-8,9-12,13-16.17-30,21-24. You will end up with a row of 6 square knots.
Next, take cords 3-6,7-10,11-14,15-18,19-22 to tie another row of square knots; this time you will have a row of 5 square knots.
Repeat steps 5 and 6 alternately, until you have 6 rows of each.
Make sure the last row is securely tightened, then remove from the dowel.
Once removed, cut the loops and the other end to the same length, and straighten.
Your coaster is now finished… it must be time to make yourself a nice cup of tea to test it out… and reward yourself for a project well-done!
Looking for more gorgeous home craft ideas? Check out the rest of our articles, projects and tutorials right here!
- Houseplant Home Crafts: How To Make Felt Succulents - 18th October 2021
- Bold & Beautiful Quilled Sugar Skull Art Tutorial - 15th October 2021
- Make A Super Cute Ghost Tealight Holder For Spooktacular Home Decor! - 13th October 2021