How to Make Crochet Water Balloons: Battle The Heatwave This Summer!
What are crochet water balloons? A hassle-free way to have fun in the sun for all the family! Forget about having to repeatedly purchase traditional water balloons, which are fiddly to fill, and all used up within minutes. These fantastic summer must-haves add instant fun to weekends spent in the garden – and you can reuse them time and time again! Not only are they reusable, but they are environmentally friendly too – as there’s no waste… and maximum fun!
Simply immerse in cold water to allow the crochet water balloons to absorb it all, and then throw at your battle buddies to start your summer water-fight fun!
This step-by-step crochet water balloon tutorial will help you to make one of the biggest trends set for summer!
Safety note: Avoid impact on peoples’ heads/faces as a general rule of safety and don’t throw too hard as with normal water balloons.
Suitable for enthusiastic beginners and upwards, this project will take you approximately 10-15 minutes per crochet water balloon.
- Bernat Blanket Brights Yarn in your choice of colors (other super-chunky yarns can be used but these absorb the water better due to their chenille/fleecy construction)
- Knitters Needle
- Crochet Hook Size 8mm (go up to a Size 9mm if you want slightly bigger balloons, but the 8mm makes them a nice handy size for all – children and adults)
- CH – Chain stitch
- DC – Double crochet stitch
- TR – Treble crochet stitch
- Tr2Tog – Treble crochet two stitches together/decrease
- SS – Slip stitch
- 2TR Bobble Stitch – a bobble stitch made from 2 trebles: Yarn over, insert hook into first stitch, yarn over and pull through, yarn over again and pull through 2 stitches on the hook, leaving 2 remaining. Yarn over again, insert the hook into the same stitch as before, yarn over and pull through. Yarn over again and pull through 2 stitches on the hook, leaving 3. Now yarn over again and pull through remaining 3 stitches.
- Tension: Tension doesn’t matter on this project. Just keep your stitches even all the way round.
Round 1: Make a Magic Circle/Magic Adjustable Ring.
CH2 then 8TR into the ring. Now pull the tail to close the ring.
Tip: pull slowly and evenly until the circle closes. Pulling too quickly or too hard could potentially snap your yarn, or weaken it.
SS to the first stitch in the ring, to make the circle complete. (8 stitches)
Round 2: CH2, then 2TR into each stitch around.
SS at the end again to complete the circle. (16 stitches)
Rounds 3 and 4: Start again with a CH2. Complete a 2TR BOBBLE STITCH in each stitch around.
End with a SS to the first stitch again.
Repeat for Round 4.
Tip: the bobble stitch gives the balloon more bulk and so allows for more water retention and more “splat factor”. If you want to make them less bulky, you can do a TR in each stitch around. (16 stitches)
Round 5: CH2, then Tr2ToG around your work, SS to first stitch. (8 stitches)
Round 6: CH2, then Tr2ToG around again. SS to first stitch (4 stitches).
Round 7: CH1, then 2DC into each stitch around. Finish round with an SS to first stitch (this creates the opening of the balloon).
To finish, tie off the yarn and cut leaving roughly a 20cm tail.
Thread the tail onto your needle and insert inside the opening/lip to come out at the neck of the balloon.
Wind the yarn around the neck of the balloon a couple of times.
Insert back through the neck coming out just a little to the left of where you inserted it.
This will create a bit of a loop which you can thread the needle and tail yarn through.
Pull the tail to make a firm knot. This will cinch in the neck as if it was tied like a real balloon. Weave in your remaining tail yarn, or lose it in the middle of the balloon.
Fill a bucket or tub with cold water and immerse the balloons in it, making sure they are entirely soaked… then throw your crochet water balloons at your target!
Keen to give this project a try, and get your own stash of reusable crochet water balloons ready? Grab the perfect yarn, a crochet hook, and a needle right here, and get started!