These adorable felt Christmas decorations are simple to sew and perfect for adding a festive feel to your fireplace, banister, or even your Christmas tree! Check out the fabulous Charlotte Newland’s tutorial below, and learn, step by step, how to make your own gorgeous set of felt Christmas decorations, in time for December!
Make these gorgeous felt Christmas decorations using the handy templates supplied, and add a ribbon loop for hanging on the tree, or sew them into a garland to decorate a mantelpiece.
Materials You’ll Need:
- Felt – in an assortment of Christmas colours
- Embroidery threads to match the felt
- Soft toy filling
- Stick-on eyes
- Tiny red buttons (4mm or 6mm diameter)
- Festive ribbon
- PVA glue and glue stick
- Robin pattern sheet, printed at 100% [Download Here]
- Santa pattern sheet, printed at 100% [Download Here]
- Snowman pattern sheet, printed at 100% [Download Here]
- Christmas pudding pattern sheet, printed at 100% [Download Here]
All the decorations are made in a similar way and use the same basic shape. I’m going to show you how to make a robin.
First, cut out the felt pieces you need using the downloadable pattern sheets.
The pattern sheets also include a drawing of the finished animal as a guide. Using matching embroidery thread and a running stitch, sew the beak and tummy pieces to one piece of the robin body. Stick the eyes on with a dab of PVA glue.
Place the two body pieces wrong sides together and sew around the edge with a whip stitch, leaving a gap for stuffing. Stuff gently and then sew up the gap. Your robin is finished!
Repeat this method to make the snowman, Santa, and Christmas pudding decorations.
To make a garland, sew eight or more decorations as above and thread them onto a long piece of ribbon. Stitch the ribbon loops of the decorations in place on the long piece of ribbon, then hang in a doorway or on a fireplace.
- Use a dab of glue instead of pins to hold the pattern pieces in place while cutting, especially the tiny pieces.
- Make sure you use extra sharp scissors with fine points to cut your felt shapes.
- Use a tiny dab of glue to hold pieces together before sewing (e.g. holding a beak in position on the face).
- Use two of the six strands of embroidery thread to sew your pieces together.
- Your thread should be no longer than the length of your forearm, to avoid tangling.
Adorable Felt Christmas Decorations (+ Free Templates!)
Summary: These adorable felt Christmas decorations are simple to sew, and fantastically festive! Add a ribbon loop for hanging on the tree or sew them on a garland.
- Readers Rating
- Rated 3.3 stars
3.3 / 5 (Reviewers)
- Very Good
- Your Rating