10 Best Sewing Machines 2018: Hand-Picked by Create and Craft!
Owning a reliable sewing machine helps you to discover an exciting new hobby, unlocking your creative potential, and enabling you to achieve results you never thought you could. Sewing machines aren’t just craft items; they’re cherished companions that help you to create your own clothing, make quilts, enhance your home decor and more! That’s why it’s essential that you find your perfect match… and we know how tricky it can be to choose! Which is why we’ve compiled a list of the top 10 sewing machines available to buy right now, along with plenty of helpful sewing machine reviews from the people who’ve bought them! To help you find your ideal partner, check out 10 of the best sewing machines on the market right now, and take yourself one step closer to the sewing machine of your dreams!
Do you need a vast selection of stitch patterns? How about monogramming to personalise projects with names? Then there are the technical specifications; a drop feed, speed control, reverse stitching, an automatic needle threader, bobbin winding, automatic stitch width and length, needle positions… and the list goes on! Every sewing machine includes its own individual set of features that makes it unique; that’s why it’s important to do your research before buying. If you’ve got the right sewing machine, what could stop you creating?
Since its launch, the Brother FS210 Sewing Machine has been an immensely popular machine amongst Create and Craft shoppers. With an incredible 4.9-star rating, the Brother FS210 is a sewing machine for the serious stitcher. Featuring an abundance of professional features encased within its user-friendly exterior, this machine is incredible value for money and is well-suited to beginners and more advanced sewers alike.
- Machine Type: Computerised sewing
- Warranty: 3 Years
- Built-in Stitches: 210
- Alphabet Styles: 2
- Buttonholes: 8 Styles of 1-step automatic buttonholes
- Illumination: Extra bright LED light
- Automatic Needle Threader? Yes
- Drop Feed? Yes – 7-point feed for smooth fabric feeding
- Free Arm Sewing? Yes
- Speed Control: Slide type speed control
- Reverse Sewing? Yes – forward and reverse sewing
- Bobbin Winding: F.A.S.T bobbin winding system
- Extras: 13 Sewing feet, machine accessories, wide extension table & hard case
Create your own fashionable garments, home décor items, alter and customise a range of textiles with the Butterick EB6100! This Computerised Sewing Machine features a number of professional features including an automatic needle threader, stitch selector providing 100 stitch types, 7 feet and so much more! This machine is perfect for beginners because it features controllable speed, includes a comprehensive manual and comes with a 2-year warranty for peace of mind!
- Stitch Selector: 100 stitch types
- Twin Needle: Unique twin needle feature – select the button and decorative stitches are reduced in width to suit twin needle stitching
- Needle Threader: Automatic
- Buttonholes: One-step
- Sewing Feet: 7 extra feet included as well as the zigzag foot
- Extension Table: Large extension table provides a bigger flat surface, ideal for larger projects
- Free-motion Sewing: yes
- Bobbin System: Easy drop-in bobbin with transparent bobbin cover
- Display: Easy-to-read digital display and stitch-select buttons
- Speed control and start/stop button for use without a foot pedal
Tried and tested for both the beginner sewer and the advanced quilter, this fantastic machine is equipped with a bright LCD display screen and digital stitch selection buttons for quick and easy browsing through stitches. The FS130QC not only allows you to beautify your quilts, but also personalise clothing and home furnishings with your own text. Providing a 7-point feed system to allow for effortless sewing on even the thickest fabrics, Brother have truly outdone themselves this time!
- Machine Type: Computerised
- Warranty: 3 Years
- Screen: Bright LCD display screen with digital stitch selection buttons
- Built-in Stitches: 130 decorative stitches, including 1 alphabet style
- Automatic Buttonholes: 8 one-step styles
- Sewing Speed: Full control via sliding speed controller
- Automatic Needle Threader? Yes
- Loading Bobbin: Top-loading with F.A.S.T bobbin winding system
- Drop Feed? Yes – 7-point feed system for smooth fabric feeding
- Sewing Lights: Extra bright LED light
Read Singer 9985 Quantum Stylist Touch Computerised Sewing Machine Reviews Right Here
The Singer Quantum Stylist series makes beautiful results easier than ever to achieve. The Singer 9985 Quantum Stylist Touch Computerised Sewing Machine certainly continues the tradition, providing the speed, simplicity and durability needed to complete practically any project. Create and Craft shoppers definitely agree with this claim, giving the Singer 9985 an amazing 5-star rating. Could this machine be your most trusted friend, too?
Singer 9985 Quantum Stylist Touch Computerised Machine Specifications:
- Machine Type: Computerised sewing
- Warranty: 2 Years
- Built-in Stitches: Over 960 – including 10 essential, 21 stretch, 919 decorative & 6 styles of alphabets & numerals
- Buttonholes: 13 One-step automatic buttonholes
- Screen: Extra-large colour touch LCD
- Stitch Memory: Programme up to 60 characters for retrieval
- Sewing Speed: Full control via speed control lever
- Automatic Needle Threader? Yes – threads machine in 6 seconds!
- Thread Breakage Sensor? Yes – for upper thread
- Thread Trimmer? Yes – via the thread cutter button
- Automatic Stitch Length & Width? Yes – but can be overridden. Width can be set to a maximum of 7mm
- Loading Bobbin: Top drop & sew bobbin system
- Needle Positions: 25 – Includes inserting zippers, cording & topstitching
- Drop Feed? Yes – with box feed motion for free-motion embroidery, monograms and sewing buttons
- Sewer Assistance? Yes
- Extras: 13 Sewing feet, machine accessories, soft dust cover & Singer 9.26 steam iron
Now we enter the more professional territory. Differing from the other two machines, the Singer Confidence 7640 not only has a screen for stitch selection, but it’s also built with far more features. Here, we step up from beginner sewing to intermediate and advanced stitching. (But don’t be thrown off — beginners would relish its simple computerised settings, too!) The easy touch stitch selection enables you to chose your stitches with the push of a button; the machine will then automatically pick the optimum width and length of your selected stitch option.
Singer is renowned for its StayBright™ LED Lights — and the Confidence 7640 isn’t exempt from this feature. No matter how poor the light conditions are in your room, you’ll be able to see your work and carry on stitching!
- Warranty: 2 years
- Stitches: 200 — basic, stretch, decorative and alpha-numeric patterns
- Buttonholes: 8 built-in 1-step buttonhole styles with consistent results
- Stitch Memory? Yes
- Bobbin: Top drop-in bobbin that’s easy to see and thread
- Needle Threader? Yes — effortlessly thread the needle to get sewing faster
- Programming: Select your stitch with the touch of a button; select automatic optimum width and length for great results
- Lightbulb: STAYBRIGHT™ LED light
- Programmable Needle Up/Down? Yes — choose the needle’s stopping position for applique and more
- Drop Feed? Yes — for free-motion sewing in quilting, button sewing and more
The SINGER® 7285Q Quilting and Sewing Machine is perfect for new sewers just getting started, as well as experienced sewers who want to expand their skills and creativity.
With 98 built-in stitches, including 15 of our most popular quilting stitches, there is no project you cannot conquer – plus its more compact size gives it the edge on portability. Thanks to an automatic needle threader, variable speed control, plus a handy extension table, unleashing the sewing enthusiast in you is now easier than ever.
7. TOYOTA SUPERJ17W Sewing Machine
Next up, we have the Toyota SUPERJ17W sewing machine. This ergonomic stitching tool packs plenty of style, featuring an almost retro vibe with jeans at the heart of the design. The machine’s main selling point is its ease of use; the needle drop point is easy to see, the large dials and levers are easy to use, and the bobbin is easy to load within its top-loading rotary system. Did we mention that it has a wide sewing area, too?
But the excitement doesn’t end there — as expected, the SUPER JEANS 17W is great for working with denim! The gliding foot is specially designed to easily sew through up to 12 layers of denim, thicker upholstery and quilting fabrics, without any special support needles. Its penetration power is mighty and its stitching is seamless.
Toyota SUPERJ17W Specifications:
- Warranty: 3 years
- Stitch Programs: 17 multi-purpose stitch pattern programs — 13 standard, 2 stretch and 2 deco
- Buttonhole: 4-step buttonhole
- Wide Sewing Area? Yes
- Needle Drop: Easy to see needle drop point
- Programming: Easy to use wide dials and levers
- Threading: Top loading bobbin
- Drop Feed? Yes
- Bobbin Winder? Yes
- Needle Threader? Yes – it’s so easy to use!
- Reverse Sewing? Yes – just hit the button
- Free Arm: Accessible by removing the accessory box
- Stitch Length & Width: Max 4mm in length and 5mm in width
- Needle Position: Centre, left
- Lightbulb: 15W
- Help: Quick adviser
New to the world of sewing, but excited to learn the basics, and keen to start sewing? Then the Brother RH127 is an excellent option for you! Enjoy sewing made simple, whilst having the opportunity to try out some more advanced features as well.
There are 27 stitches to work with that are ideal for dressmaking and home furnishing projects, plus this versatile machine features a top-loading bobbin, which ensures it stays tangle-free and easy to use.
9. Bernette Chicago 7 Sewing and Embroidery Machine
The Bernette Chicago 7 is a computerised combo-machine, offering the features and functionality of a machine twice its size. Switch between sewing and embroidering at the flick of a button; this machine is the portable answer to high-end functionality. Whilst the 4.4-star rated Chicago 7 comes with hundreds of stitches (all easily accessed and adjusted through the LCD display), you’re also at liberty to add your own, simply by plugging in your USB.
Bernette Chicago 7 Sewing and Embroidery Machine Specifications:
- Machine Type: Computerised combi sewing & embroidery
- Warranty: 2 Years
- Built-in Stitches: Over 150 decorative, 20 quilting, 2 alphabets, satin & stretch
- Buttonholes: 1 Automatic one-step buttonhole
- Embroidery: 100 designs
- Direct Stitch Selection: Buttons allow for quick access to basic stitches
- Screen: Clear & easy LCD stitch display
- Lights: LED lit sewing area
- Needle Positions: 5 – 2 x Left, 1 x centre & 2 x right
- Needle Threader? Yes – built into the machine
- Loading Bobbin: Top-loading drop-in bobbin & hook system with quick bobbin winding
- Stitch Speed: 800 Stitches-per-minute
- Maximum Stitch Sizes: 4.5mm Maximum stitch length & 7mm maximum stitch width. Variable stitch length & width provides a smooth transition & adjustment
- Stitch Editing Functions: Length, width, mirroring, elongation & twin needle limiting
- Automatic Securing: For selected stitch categories, the machine will sew three securing stitches at the beginning & end of a pattern, when auto-lock is engaged
- Presser Foot: Two-level presser foot lifter for thicker fabrics & presser foot adjustment
- Power: As an alternative to the foot control, the machine can be powered using the start/stop button, with the speed regulated using the sliding speed control
- Machine Motor: A strong motor provides quiet & precise power
- Machine Memory: Long-term memory of stitch combinations
- Extras: 9 Sewing feet, embroidery hoop, dust cover & machine accessories
For creativity that knows no limits, we’d like to introduce you to the Singer Futura XL580 Sewing and Embroidery Machine, including innovative features that allow you to do more then ever before!
With an endless hoop, knee lifter for hands-free presser foot lifting, extra-large sewing space for quilting and 250 built-in embroidery designs – including 50 endless designs – it’s just what you need to make your sewing creativity truly limitless.
If you are a serious sewing enthusiast keen to expand your creative potential, this is the machine for you!
- Machine Type: Sewing & Embroidery Machine
- Warranty: 2 Years
- Lights: Yes – 6 StayBright LED lights on either side of the needle area & over the large surface
- Built-in Stitches: 215 stitches – including 10 basic, 6 stretch, 192 decorative – as well as 20 fonts for monogramming, each of which can be sized, rotated & shaped
- Buttonholes: 7 – 6 fully automatic 1-step buttonholes & 1 endless buttonhole. Comes with exclusive buttonhole foot to sandwich the fabric between a lower plate, ensuring perfect buttonholes on multiple fabric layers
- Embroidery Designs: 250 new embroidery designs – including small hoop, large hoop & 50 endless designs. Easily create free-motion quilting effects with embroidery
- Embroidery Hoops: New endless hoop (6.75″ x 4″) – allowing you to create beautiful borders & edging designs – as well as a large 10″ x 6″ hoop & a small 4″ x 4″ hoop. Has a multi-hooping capability to create designs larger than one hoop
- Threading: Automatic Thread Cutter cuts the top & bottom threads instantly with the touch of a button. SwiftSmart Threading System – guide thread directly from the spool to the needle area through a single groove & thread the needle by pressing threading lever
- Bobbin System: Drop & Sew Bobbin System – no need to thread the bobbin manually! Just insert the bobbin, then place thread in the channel & you’re good to go
- Extra Features: Programmable needle up/down, drop feed for free-motion embroidery, extra-high presser foot lifter, automatic tension, speed control lever & heavy duty metal frame
- USB Key: Yes – allows you to design in embroidery software on your PC without it connecting to your machine, then send the designs to your machine with just one click! Also connects to PC & USB sticks via USB port
- Software: Comes with AutoPunch to convert images to embroidery, HyperFont to convert fonts into embroidery & Advanced Editing software to customise sections of designs or stitches. Live software updates are available to make sure they’re always up to date
File Compatibility: Reads FHE, XXX, JEF, CHE, HUS, PES, DST, SHV, PEC, EXP, VIP, PCS, PSW & SEW file types
Check out our full range of sewing machines, and discover your new best friend today!
Are you looking to upgrade, or are you on the hunt for your very first sewing machine? Let us know in the comments below!