No Time to Paws – National Pet Month is in Full Swing!
National Pet Month is in full swing! Just in case you haven’t already embraced it with full vigour, we thought we’d share a few fun and crafty ways you can enjoy the rest of April!
Whether you’re cat-obsessed, doggy-mad, or prefer to share your life with smaller (yet equally as adorable!) critters, we’ve no doubt that you’ll be able to make room for one more, once you discover the Amigurumi craze! Amigurumi is the addictively adorable Japanese art of crocheting stuffed characters. They could be people, animals, or even objects… the only limit is your imagination! But since it’s National Pet Month, we’d thought we’d bring our animal kits from Toft to your attention! Amongst these companion-making kits, you’ll discover:
Geoff the Westie Dog – a keen favourite amongst dog lovers.
Alexandre the Cat – a must-have if felines are more your thing.
If neither floats your boat, why not invest in everything you need to create this stunning crochet unicorn? Unicorns can be pets, too… right? We’re going to say yes!
If you’re more familiar with a sewing machine than you are with a crochet hook, then these simple yet sublime patchwork pets might be more your cup of catnip. This fantastic value multibuy enables you to create 10 adorable patchwork creatures, which would make pretty additions to your home décor! Create snails, a cat, a mouse, pigs, a puppy, an owl, a goose, and a deer – all with one collection. It’s suitable for any sewing level and includes all you need.
Bags of Love
Got bags of love for your pet, but you don’t know how to show it? Why not take their adorable face everywhere you go with your very own handmade animal bag? This fantastic set of patterns from Simplicity will enable you to produce your very own cat, dog, fox or bird-themed bag. You could even select your own fabrics to match your pet’s colouring!
Whether or not you’re a pet-loving papercrafter, we bet you know someone who is crazy about their four-legged friend. Why not embrace their passion for all things pet-related and create them a bespoke card that’s bound to bring a smile to their face?
This adorable doggy die set includes a variety of popular breeds, from the miniature (yet mighty!) Chihuahua to the friendly and fun-loving Labrador. There’s bound to be a pooch in here to suit all tastes! Use these quality dies to create intricately cut canine silhouettes that will transform your greeting cards, bunting, gift tags, scrapbooking pages, and more.
Addicted to pet-themed papers? Then you’ll love this fantastic bundle from Craftwork Cards! Sporting a ‘Pampered Pets’ theme, it’s ideal for use whilst crafting for those who love nothing more than spoiling their pets. Packed with toppers, papers, sentiments, Candi and more, this paw-fect pack also includes an inspiration sheet so you can get stuck in right away!
Fun Facts About Pet Ownership!
Just in case you needed any more reasons to spend the rest of the month celebrating how pawesome pets truly are, here are a few benefits of pet ownership that you might know.
- Did you know: American medical research suggests that children who grow up from an early age in a home shared by animals tend to develop stronger immune systems overall compared to their pet-free friends. That’s pretty incredible.
- Pets are commonly used as therapy animals in hospitals, nursing homes, schools and other group facilities that are learning, care or recovery-oriented. This is because they help to boost moods and can bring comfort and companionship to those who are struggling.
- The National Institute of Health published heart-related studies showing that pet owners have lower blood pressure and cholesterol, putting them at lower risk of heart attacks.
- Animals can be a great ice-breaker! You’re more likely to end up in conversation with someone at the park if you’re both out with your canine companion. If your dog is keen on making new friends when you’re out and about, chances are you’ll make a few too!
- Dog owners are less likely to suffer from obesity than those without a four-legged walkaholic in their home. Next time Fido brings you his lead, thank him!